Sunday, September 29, 2013

Assignment! (or I call it, "the preferred way to practice and prepare for the next rehearsal")

Date: 09/26/13
Orchestra: CYO
Attendance: very good
Repertoire rehearsed: the same two pieces as last week
Little things I noticed: I'm NOT in love with the current seating situation of the wind section. They seem too far and less connected to me and to the strings. I hope to have a solution by next week.

Note:
First of all, thank you Mehr, Sydney, Grace, and Sana (ex CYO'ers) for joining us for the Mozart. It was fun. Hope we can do this from time to time.

Ok, so both pieces are sounding better very quickly. I think we can make these pieces sound pretty good by the time of the concert.
For this week, I just have an assignment for you. I hope you can find the time to do this!

Strings
: I want you guys to watch the video below and do the following:
1. Pay attention to how they are using their bows - how much of the bow are they using, where on the bow, how fast? how much pressure onto the bow do you think they are applying? Where on the string are they playing - is it closer to the bridge, closer to the finger board,  or exactly in the middle?

2. Imitate them EXACTLY

Winds : Watch the same video. Do the following:
1. Pay attention to the "kind of" sounds they are producing. And by "kind of" sounds, I mean is it a warm and juicy kind? Is it thick and heavy? Sad and weepy? Thin and fluffy, wet and sticky, light and bouncy, rough and angry, bright and shiny, kind and gentle? How often do they change their sounds, and when?
2. Imitate them for all the different kinds of sound that they make. If you like, you may also try doing something completely different to see if any other way can work or not.


Happy practicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment