Saturday, March 16, 2013

Say it with those notes!

Date: 03/14/13
Orchestra: CYO
Attendance: good!
Coaches present: Mr. Luckenbil and Mr. Lin
Repertoire rehearsed: the two "dark" ones
Little things I noticed: my blog app on my cell phone is not that great... Besides, typing with the phone is not fun. I'll just write my blogs on my computer at home...
Today's Seating:

Band Style!!!



Note:
Things are starting to come along!
Gounod is a funny piece. It's a comical piece that is in a "sad", or "scary" key. Kind of like one of those "horror comedy" shows like the Adams Family, but I guess you are WAY too young to know what that is...
Anyway, let's keep that piece nice and bouncy.

In Star Wars, even within the loud sections, there are different characters. The subtle differences can make a huge difference, but we must MAKE those differences by playing differently.

I'm starting to hear a glimmer of "expression" in your playing, which is great!!
But remember, music IS expression! So always try to think about what it is that your music may be trying to express. You may never know the "right" answer - actually to be more precise, there may not be an answer at all sometimes - but having an image, inspired by the music, and trying to express that with those notes, will help you transform your notes into something magical.

Also remember, "it takes more energy to play pp than ff"!

No comments:

Post a Comment