Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Even Einstein couldn't "count"... but you can!

Date: 04/13/13
Orchestra: Chamber

A real quick rehearsal note

We sight read the last movement of Holst's St. Paul Suite today.

The ONLY thing difficult about this piece is the juxtaposition of 6/8 meter going directly into 3/4 and getting back to 6/8.

Just as a reminder as to how this works (I'm sure you all understand it, but just in case)

The only thing we need to know is that there are six eighth notes in one 6/8 measure (obviously). But that means it can be divided into either two groups of three eighth notes (2/4 feel with triplet eighth notes), which is usually how it is felt, or three groups of two eighth notes, which is the same thing as a 3/4 measure!!!

So, in counting,
6/8 in two: ONE-two-three, TWO-two-three
6/8 in three: ONE-two, TWO-two, THREE-two

In visualization:
I i i I i i
or
I i I i I i

That's it!

Simple idea, but does require some practice to get used to, so please practice this. You can just count them out loud with accents, or tap the rhythm (all eighth notes with appropriate accents).

THIS EXERCISE CAN BE  DONE ANYWHERE, ANYTIME. So no excuses please. :)

I expect all of you to be masters of metric transposition by next week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment