Monday, September 16, 2013

Back from Summer and Back to Blogging!!!

So I couldn't keep up with the blogging during the summer as I hoped, but I am definitely back now.

This summer, I was fortunate enough to teach at two fabulous music festivals. The first one was called the 4Strings Music Festival, and there I got to give daily lectures on various topics on music, coach chamber music groups, perform some chamber music with other faculties members, and also conduct the large ensemble for two full weeks. It took place in this beautiful resort up in a beautiful mountain in Catskills, so on my spare time, I would wonder off into the woods to reconnect and breathe, which was very needed for I had quite a busy schedule there. Students' age ranged from 10 to 16, a lot of which were very serious musicians (some of them will be very very successful in the future, no doubt).  I couldn't be happier to coach and teach such serious and talented musicians and have them tell me how inspired they were from my teachings. In a way, I was inspired by them too.

The day after I got back from 4Strings, I started coaching at World Peace Orchestra - an international youth orchestra with symphonic and ethnic instruments, with students from over 50 different countries. My duty there was quite undefined... In the planning stage (before the summer) I acted as their musical counsellor - helping them decide on the classical portion of the program, getting additional coaches, and players, etc. Once the rehearsals began, I conducted string sectionals, and coached the lower strings. I also assisted the main conductor in his rehearsals. They also made me do a few different things that i wasn't aware that I had to.... The age range for the WPO participants was 15 to 23, so naturally, we had diversity not only in the cultures, but also in their experience levels. We had performers that were somewhat new to their instruments to people who already play in reputable orchestras professionally. If you've ever taught before, you know that coaching a group of people with wide range of experience level is the hardest to do, and this group had a range as wide as the music world allows.  On top of which, the organization itself proved to be a bit dubious, so certain things became a lot more difficult than they needed to be. Although the organization have many many many points that needed improvements, for the whole month I was with them, I kept being jealous of the participants. I mean, how often do you get to meet, live with and perform with such diverse group of people (in one of the most important venues in the whole world too)? And all while you are still soooo young!! I believe this opened up a lot of doors for many of the participants, and I would say, to a certain degree, mine as well.

In both festivals, I had the chance to meet so many wonderful people (students young and closer to my age, and staff and faculty members), some of them will no doubt be life long relationships.

The day after I saw some people off at the airport was the first day of NJSYO!!  I felt like I came back home. I was very excited to see old faces and to meet new people that are starting this year.
Many of the CYO kids from last year moved up to SYO (congrats!), but it seems like we've gained as many new students as I lost them to SYO. And this year, we have WOODWINDS!!!! I am so going to take an advantage of it! I also like how I still get to see the ex-CYO'ers every week, because we rehearse right next to each other. I feel like I keep gaining students, and never lose them :) Come say hi during the breaks, ok?

We also had our first chamber rehearsal on Saturday. This is where I truly feel at home. It was so good to see all the familiar faces in chamber, and so excited to have another year of fun with you guys.  I'm also very happy to have a couple of new members! 

For both groups, I used the first rehearsal to gage where we are so I can plan for the rest of the year. I think I now have a pretty good idea as to which direction we can head towards for both groups.

I feel very fortunate to get to spend another year with you guys. Let's make this another great year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment