Saturday, January 11, 2014

new challenge for the new year

Date: 01/09/14
Orchestra: CYO
Attendance: excellent
Repertoire Rehearsed: Beethoven
Little things I noticed: 
So I tried using a conductor's baton for the first time today... It's rather awkward, I have to say... Maybe I just have to get used to it...  someone mentioned Harry Potter's wand. I wish it was a magical wand, that way, I can turn anyone naughty into a goat for a while as a punishment, and an amusement for the rest of us

Note:
welcome back!
hope you had a nice relaxing and joyful winter break! it's good to see you all again.

so, the beethoven piece i gave you is a piece that is somewhat significant to me, for it was one of the first major classical orchestra pieces i ever played (i was nine), and left an incredibly positive, immensely huge, and long lasting (forever) impression on me. i felt that i subconsciously learned so much about music, just by playing and working on it.
i do believe it will have the same the same effect on you - the piece is that powerful.
and i was very impressed with your reading skill!! that is NOT an easy piece to sight read at all(!), but it didn't even feel like it phased you at all. amazing. this is a very difficult piece, and i was hoping to push you a bit, but judging from the way you handled the first rehearsal, maybe i can push you even more...
at any rate, i mean for us to perform this at a very high level, since we have some time till May. i figured with a piece like this, the longer we spend time on it, the better it is for us. it's like musical medicine. you can't possibly have too much beethoven in your life.

Here's the link to the best recording i found of the piece on youtube:
the link does not say who the conductor is or which orchestra or provide any information of this recording at all, but my guess is that it is Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic. I've heard that recording before, and I think it's the same one. This video is doubly nice because it comes with the score!

1 comment:

  1. not quite sure what happened there, when I tried to post this the first time.....

    ReplyDelete