Friday, March 13, 2015

reading vs. playing

Date of Rehearsal: 03/12/15
Orchestra: CYO
Repertoire Rehearsed: Strauss Jr, and Anderson

Snow day is not an excuse to stop practicing, folks! If anything, it should make you think like the following: "if I don't practice this week extra hard, then I will forget some things by the next rehearsal, so I better practice extra, and listen to the recording more often".

It seems to me that many of you didn't think this way last week, and you saw the results. We were doing so well, and I am very upset at the weather (not at you). But please don't forget this in the future.

In the rehearsal, I briefly mentioned "reading" the notes as opposed to "playing" the notes, and I suppose this could use a bit of clarification.

When you "read" your notes. You are playing (producing the sounds of) the notes in the efforts to BECOME familiar with the music. At this point, you are not expressing anything yet, you are trying to figure out what the music is about, and what the notes, fingerings, phrasings, bowings, etc. are, so you know what and how to express the music in the future through practicing.

"Playing" the notes, in contrast, occurs AFTER you've read through, practiced and have figured things out. When you are "playing", you KNOW the music. You know what to do, how to do, and know what it is about, and you are expressing the music from your heart.

I know for a fact, that all of you have experienced "playing" music before (in a real way). And you can think back to yesterday and compare yourself from when you were really "playing".

In my experience, reading is not as fun as playing. I mean reading can be enjoyable when we first get the music. I get excited to find out how the music goes. I am excited to discover new things. But when you continue to "read" the same music week after week, I don't really need to tell you what happens, do I?

It's never fun to remain where you are, no matter what circumstances. That's why we play different music every concert. We enjoy evolving, and learning. I think it's safe to say that we all do. But to advance, it takes courage and work.

At the end of our previous rehearsal before the snow storm, I was feeling a sense of bliss, for I thought we were headed straight towards "playing" those notes, and was very excited about it.

But the weather set us back some. We were there once before, I am confident that we can get back on track.

Please work extra extra hard this week, and lets really "play" the music next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment