Friday, January 9, 2015

A new year's blue(s)?

It was so good to see you guys again! I'm also happy to have two new members in our group. I hope you all had a relaxing/exciting break (whichever suites you). I had a couple of concerts to play in, and a reading session of a Mozart symphony with some of the musicians from the Metropolitan Opera orchestra, which I consider to be one of the two best orchestras in the whole world, so that was fun ( I played cello with them. No I did not, or would dare not conduct them...). 

As I kind of mentioned to you in the beginning of the rehearsal, I have played the Blue Tango piece when I was about your age. I don't remember liking the song particularly to be honest, but somehow I have one of the strongest musical memories of that piece that I have ever had. I never had a chance to play that piece ever again after that, but to this day, I would once in a great while hear it in my head, and recognize the title of the piece, which is rare. I also remembered almost every line of music in the piece. From the bass/snare drum rhythmic pattern to the woodwinds' staccato chirps, to inner voice's chromatic ascend, to the melody harmonized in thirds. I guess I did really like it and didn't know that I did? Is that possible? 

From my perspective, it is nice to face this music again as an adult. Kind of like seeing an old friend you haven't seen in many many many years, since childhood.
And it is doubly interesting because for many of you, this must be totally brand new and unfamiliar.

We had a good first reading of it though. This piece is pretty simple, so I don't expect that it would take us too much time to learn the notes. However, it will probably take us much more time to be as elegant, joyful, light, graceful, happy, and casual as we need to be while playing this piece.

We will work on that aspect intently.


No comments:

Post a Comment