Saturday, February 23, 2013

A Road Trip

Date: 2/21/13
Orchestra: CYO
Attendance: good :)
Coaches present: Mr. Luckenbil and Mr. Lin (thanks!)
Repertoire rehearsed: Mostly Mozart
Little things I noticed: ZERO paintings on the wall... and no, there was no centipede on it either. Also, if you eat a fortune cookie that is not yours, an angry janitor might come chasing after you :)

Notes:
This is how we sat for this rehearsal.


My aim was 1) for me to have a fresh ear for the wind and brass section, who usually sit so far away from me 2) to not let them take an advantage of the fact that they sit so far away from me :) 3) to keep people on their toes by doing things differently, and 4) most importantly, have people experience hearing and seeing different parts of the orchestra and hopefully have them notice things that they would otherwise not, and thereby learning the very first lesson on ensemble playing - simply noticing things inside your own ensemble.

We all know (intellectually understand) that different instruments play different parts in an orchestra. We also know that sometimes we play different parts even within an instrument section of an orchestra by dividing that group further. But knowledge has nothing on experience. When we actually pay attention and listen for how those different parts, or even just sounds that are so different from instrument to instrument, interact and come together and make ONE piece of music, it is fascinating. And what's more, the fact that you are not just a witness, but a participant, that you are one of the creators, that you and your friends are making this magic happen, I think is absolutely exciting.

Which brings me to a question that I was going to ask you during the rehearsal, which I couldn't get to, because every time I try to talk, well, you know what happens...

Anyway, I was going to ask you about the rolls that we play in the orchestra, and I was going to start off this week, by asking what the roll of my position, the conductor, was. Of course, it is a bit of a loaded question, and it depends largely on who the orchestra members are (and also on who you ask...). But if you were to ask me, I think the truth is, conductors don't "conduct" anything. Because in reality, you guys (the instrumentalists) are the drivers, and the engines, and we (the conductors) are just a guide. Many think that conductors "drive" the orchestra. No. He is (I am) but a road which you drive on, so you don't drive yourselves into a ditch. I am a sign post that tells you how fast you should go, or notify you what's ahead. You decide how far you want to go, and I can show you the way, hopefully a quick way, but sometimes I purposefully take you on a scenic route, so you see and discover things along the way. But you have to get your friends together to plan and organize the trip. You have to listen to your friends' opinions and make decisions. you have to pull people who are dragging behind, or slow down those who are going too far ahead. You cannot depend on the road to move you to your destination. You have to turn your car on and step on the gas pedal yourselves. Because this is your trip.

So now that we have most of our own personal items, such as notes and rhythms, packed and ready, now is the time to start communicating with your fellow travelers, and try to make each trip the best one yet. Of course, I'll make sure that the roads are nice and paved :)

No comments:

Post a Comment