Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Things to consider

Date: 03/27/14
Orchestra: CYO

It had been a while since I heard the whole ensemble play together, but it is quite obvious that all the sectional work is paying off!

And I would like to take a moment to congratulate myself in actually being able to do what I wanted to do, which was to rehearse all three pieces and spend decent amount of each, and yet still be done (more or less) in time! :)

The Satie is sounding a lot more mature and much more atmospheric, which is great.
I would still like for you to listen to a recording of it as often as possible. And when you listen to it, I want you to pay attention to these particular things:

1. To the orchestration in general. How is Satie achieving certain effects. Specifically note the diffenrence in the first time the main melody appears (mm.5) ("mm." means "measure", by the way. not sure why, but that's how it is), and the second time which is at Reh. B (mm.31). Which instruments are playing what? What would you say is a "characteristic" difference between the two sections? 

2. Note the structure. Between each melody entrance, there is always 2 to 4 measures of space. What are the characters of these measures. What are the instrumentation/orchestration in these places? What do you think they are for? What effects do they provide?

3. Note the way the performers in the recording "perform" it. How do they play each note? What kind of sound are they making. How together are they within their instrumental group? How together are they as an orchestra? Do you think they are matching each others sounds and entrances?

So every time I hear you guys play the Bizet, I am surprised by how great you guys sound. It is as if you all have played it many times before. Still, there is always room for improvements! To start things off, I would like for you to start thinking about "how" you can make the section at Reh. D sound much more "passionate"?

I won't give you a specific assignment for Beethoven, because I want you to concentrate on what I mentioned above for now. But please keep being diligent about listening to a recording often. You may even apply the same kind of listening that I am asking to do for Satie, especially #1 and #3. listen to different orchestras, different conductors. Orchestras from different parts of the world playing the same piece. Note the differences. Note your favorite ones!

I have a mind for making "official" assignment for Beethoven next week. Yay, aren't you so glad???

No comments:

Post a Comment